Exploration zones are tables featuring open-play opportunities related to the associated session activity.
Light and optics table
- Learning at the speed of light! This zone is a table full of fiber optics and lights and lenses and mirrors, enclosed in a portable darkroom, allowing kids to see first-hand how optical elements can be used to focus and shape light - or split it into its constituent colors.
- This table features a suite of student microscopes with up to 400X magnification - enough to clearly see the colloidal structures that make milk, most single-celled organisms, and some of the larger bacteria species.
- A stereomicroscope will allow kids to see larger, opaque things - like the eyes on a dragonfly larva or the fine details of a circuit board.
- A bunch of magnets on a table - spheres, rods, discs, and cylinders - together with various nuts and bolts and paper clips and stuff.
- Also includes a magnetic levitation track!
- Four adjustable, high-power air jets with a variety of tubing and fittings let kids explore air flow and "magically" levitate different shapes.